CASE STUDY: Speciality Outdoor Food Retailer Sells Out First Weekend Post-Lockdown & Enjoys Flexibility Caterpod Offers
- Welsh Cake Hut was conceived in Winter 2018 to complement the catering options within the Cwmbran Centre Christmas Market.
- The concept was so well received that, in February 2019, the Welsh Cake Hut started trading every Thursday-Saturday at Cwmbran Centre.
- Welsh Cake Hut offers warm Welsh cakes in a range of flavours including lemon curd, raspberry jam and chocolate chip from its bespoke caterpod trailer. Expanding the choice of flavours has opened up the Hut’s customer base to a wider demographic with the Nutella flavour being particularly popular with children.
- During lockdown, the demand was such that the company started to arrange home deliveries of Welsh cakes to the local area. The company also supplies Welsh cakes for events and special occasions.
- Post-lockdown, the Welsh Cake Hut has moved locations in Cwmbran Centre to accommodate social distancing and is now located within a covered courtyard.
- The Hut has become a firm favourite with Cwmbran Centre regulars.
- Jeff, the owner of Welsh Cake Hut, had previously owned a café and enjoys the flexibility he now has with the caterpod without the overheads he had with the café.
- The company have introduced a range of social distancing measures since re-opening.
- Welsh Cake Hut sold out of its Welsh cakes the first weekend after returning post-lockdown and is enjoying a buoyant trade every weekend.
“The team at Cwmbran Centre are very supportive of The Welsh Cake Hut and make it a pleasure to trade there. We have been so pleased with the response to our Welsh cakes and have built a loyal, regular customer base as well as having new customers who like to try the different flavours we offer each week. Post-lockdown sales have surpassed our expectations and it is great to be trading again.”
Welsh Cake Hut
For more information
Contact us for more information on promotional space opportunities at Cwmbran Centre.