CASE STUDY: Diageo Successfully Trials Festive Pop-Up Experience In Multi Venue Roadshow
Diageo successfully trials festive pop up experience in multi venue roadshow. The first pop up store campaign in the UK has formed the foundation of their DTC strategy, using SpaceandPeople’s expertise to match the right audience to the brand.
- Diageo is a global leader in premium drinks with over 200 brands (including Johnnie Walker Blue Label) and sales in more than 180 countries.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES
- Execute the first national direct to consumer Diageo pop-up retail store campaign in the UK following success of a similar activity in the United States.
- Explore how Diageo can disrupt and operate Direct To Consumer (DTC) at scale with bespoke kiosks through an ultimate gifting brand experience. Johnnie Walker Blue Label was selected due to its premium positioning within the luxury world.
- Prove how giftable brand experiences can drive consumer behaviour to purchase and increase brand distinctiveness in order to differentiate Johnnie Walker.
- 2 modular experiential stands were created to maximise audience engagement, geographical reach and work within site parameters.
- SpaceandPeople was chosen as the venue partner to match the correct audiences to the activation with a selection of high footfall sites.
- The roadshow visited 7 major retail shopping destinations (Bluewater, Westfield London, Bullring, Trafford Centre, Trinity Leeds and Meadowhall) and one train station (London Liverpool Street), each for a 2-week period up to Christmas 2022.
- The stands had a range of Blue Label products including the Johnnie Walker Advent Calendar, giftpacks and Blue Label bottles.
- Added-value services were available to further encourage purchase including bottle personalisation, gift wrapping, an educational video experience and ‘perfume’ scent flip books.
- Activation reached over 9.5 million consumers.
- Products available ranged in price point which offered “Something for everyone”.
- Sales increased significantly from mid-November as consumers were not in the gifting mindset until then.
- Consumers were value and price conscious driven, which reflected in the 2 best selling products:
- Johnnie Walker Black Label Giftpack with 2 x 5cl miniatures (by units)
- Johnnie Walker Blue Label Giftpack (by value) which delivered highest (34%) new sales value delivery vs. other portfolio brands
- Sales over-indexed in Asian heritage and were purchased for special occasions (Weddings and Birthdays) as well as Christmas.
- Complementary bottle engraving was extremely popular and added a personal touch.
- Return on sales over-indexed in London centric locations.
- Click and Collect option was available at London Liverpool Street. This proved popular as it enabled customers to order in the morning and collect on their way home.
- The partnership with SpaceandPeople will continue into 2023 with the next roadshow, tailoring venue recommendations based on audience demographics.
“Being Diageo’s first step into DTC third space pop up store activities, this campaign would not have been feasible without the continued support and expertise from SpaceandPeople (S&P). Extremely knowledgeable and agile navigating rigorous alcohol law requirements, S&P were a critical team member in making this activation a success. “
– Experiential Project Manager, Diageo
Looking for the right audience for your multi-venue campaign?
SpaceandPeople offers a broad range of space for pop-up retail and brand experience activity in busy venues throughout the UK. Our venues include train stations, shopping centres, retail parks and leisure venues.